How long or how many iterations does it take to create a tradition? I am not really sure, but it looks like Newspeak and Exapno New Music Community Center are kind of doing it with the New Music Bake Sale.
Now in its sixth year, this fun event is a mashup of an old-school bake sale and a new music marathon. Great music, great food, and all proceeds from sales remain with the participants!
The event will take place on Sunday, March 15 from 4 to 11 pm at Roulette (509 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn).
Each admission ($10 at the door) gets you a raffle ticket and who knows what awesome things you can win?
This year’s New Music Bake Sale is sponsored by:
- Lead Sponsor: New Music USA
- Sponsors: Brooklyn Brewery, I CARE IF YOU LISTEN, and New Spectrum Foundation
The Music Marathon
The schedule is:
- 4pm: andPlay
- 5pm: Eleonore Oppenheim
- 6pm: thingNY
- 7pm: C4: The Choral Composer/Conductor Collective
- 8pm: Anti-Depressant: Kathleen Supové and Jennifer Choi
- 9pm: Tigue
- 10pm: The Knells
There is even a Soundcloud playlist to sample the music that you’ll get to hear. For the food, you’ll have to come.
Part of the fun is sampling some delicious food during the event. I remember fondly Molly Yeh’s Sriracha Cheez-its, a couple of years ago… *sigh*
Are you wondering what delicacies the edgiest ensembles/performers/presenters/etc. will bring? Well, we asked them:
- Scholes Street Studio: “Gumbo and pecan pie.”
- Cadillac Moon Ensemble: “We’ll be selling some preview treats for our upcoming dinner concert. There’ll be one savory and one sweet, and some molecular gastronomic wonderfulness.“
- Exapno: “Pay-what-you-want gum (folks need some fresh breath while they chat with the people!)”
- ensemble, et al.: “Mind-blowing sweet-savory combo baked goods and maybe some ice cream!”
- Lunar Ensemble: “Half moon cookies and moon pies!“
- The Curiosity Cabinet: “Homemade tamales plus chips and kick-ass guacamole.“
- Mobius Percussion: “Grilled cheese-a-thon.“
- Kettle Corn New Music: “Chocolate Chip Kettle Corn Cookies.“
- ShoutHouse: “Cream cheese frosting will be involved.“
- Kleio Music: “Pulled pork tacos.“
See you there?
Still not sure what you’re doing on Sunday, March 15 from 4 to 11 pm? Here is a video we shot back in 2012, during the 3rd New Music Bake Sale!